- Check trailer & load mass to vehicle capacity
- Check Light / Power plug is connected to vehicle
- Check safety chain is connected, and crossed over if there are two
- Check tow coupling is secure
- Check handbrake is released (If fitted)
- Check tyre condition, tread, sidewall cracks cuts etc.
- Check wheel nut & indicators (If fitted)
- Rock wheels on axles to check for excessive movement.
- Ensure jockey wheel is in travel position
- Ensure number plate is clearly visible, and registration is current
- Check operation of all lights
- Check load is secured
- If it doesn't look right, it often isn't !!
3 Monthly Safety Inspection
To be Carried out By Competent Person...
- Check tow coupling for excessive wear, cracks & other damage
- Visually check coupling is secure & its mounting bolts are tight
- Check operation of jockey wheel & its mounting
- Inspect trailer for any signs of cracking. In particular the drawbar & areas where the drawbar attaches to the frame
- Inspect for any other damaged or missing components
Jack Up Each Wheel and Remove Dust Cap
- Check that wheel rotates freely and there is no abnormal bearing noise
- Check there is no free play in bearings
- Check for free play by rocking hub/brake drum assembly with hands positioned at 12 and 6 o'clock
- Check condition of grease in outer bearings & dust caps
- If free play is found in the bearings, the bearings are too tight or the grease is badly discoloured, then the bearings must be serviced
- Inspect suspension components for wear, and replace bushes etc as required
6 Monthly service/Safety Inspection
To be carried out in conjunction with Daily & 3 Monthly Service
- Service wheel bearings. Replace any components that are not serviceable. If one bearing component is not serviceable, then replace them as a set.
- Inspect all brake components
- Check the brake linings, brake drum for crazing & condition of all mechanical linkages. All faulty or worn components must be replaced. Linings with remaining service life shall have all brake dust safely removed, and be deglazed.
- Adjust brakes and check operation & adjustment of parking brake.
- Inspect the following axle & suspension components for breaks, damages, wears and cracks. Lubricate where required.
- Physically check all nuts, bolts, U bolts & locking devices on the axle and suspension components for the correct tension rather than just carry out a visual inspection.
- Springs, Shackles, Shackle Pins and Nuts, U Bolts, Plates, Suspension Arms, Axle, Shock Absorbers, & Bushes
- Grease Jockey Wheel